In this episode, Stacie Boyar, mental health therapist talks with us about how to Tame the Brain and help teens and young adults through times of stress and anxiety.
There is no doubt we are living in a time where fear and anxiety seem to be at an all-time high.
Stacie and I talk about how she got into this work and how the idea for her book “You’re Not the Boss of Me” came to be.
Stress, fear, and overwhelm can be directly linked to anxiety. Stacie and I talk about strategies to help teens and young adults come to terms with this and to help them better understand how to manage all that is coming at them.
We talk about the link between mental health and nutrition and how creating positive habits, one step at a time can truly be life changing.
Take a listen, I am sure you’re going to walk away with a new perspective on how to help our young adults better manage their mental health. Something we all know is crucial in today’s climate.
Stacie and I talk about:
- Why we shouldn’t believe every one of our thoughts
- The difference between anxiety and depression
- Why we need to teach basic anxiety coping skills in school
- The fact kids can’t learn when they are in fight or flight mode
- How fear can be connected to anger
- The need for everyone to express their emotions in some way
- Therapy as a nonjudgemental space to say what you need to say about how you feel
- The benefits of an I mindset that allows you to do things for you and for others
- The importance of mindful eating
- Why healthy foods can help kids combat the fight or flight chemicals in their brains
- The importance of stepping into your authentic self
To read a transcript, click here.
To find out more about Stacie, check out her website