Listen to the episode:
Do you think only stomach pains indicate you have something wrong with your GI system? Did you know that most of your immune system is in your intestines? Did you know that you could be completely asymptomatic and have something very wrong with your body?
Your weight is very closely connected to the “bugs” in your gut and that if you are having a hard time losing weight it could be the result of an imbalanced GI system
If you didn’t know about the link between your immune system and gut health, you are not alone. And if you think that you have to have a tummy ache in order to actually have something wrong with your health, then this podcast is for you.
I was thrilled to be able to have a conversation with Dr. Marie Van Der Merwe about gut health from a clinical perspective. She shed light on a topic that we hear a lot about but actually know very little about when it comes to our own health and wellness.
Dr. V spends her days studying those very bacteria in our bodies – that can have a tremendous impact on our overall health and wellness. Join us for information that could be life changing for you and for your family.
In this episode:
- We discuss why the food we eat is so important to our health (6:06)
- Dr V explains what the gut microbiome is (8:19)
- We look at how a gut microbiome imbalance can affect weight loss (13:30)
- We consider why cutting out certain food groups isn’t always the answer (16:55)
- Dr V gives her opinion on how intermittent fasting can affect gut health (17:40)
- Dr V assess how gut health impacts your ability to fight COVID ( 28:59)
- Dr V explains what foods break down the mucus layer in our gut, and why that’s a bad thing (34:37)
- We consider the dangers of processed foods, and how food sensitivities are impacted by gut health (38:36)
To download a transcript of this episode, click here
To learn more about Dr Van De Merwe, check out her University of Memphis profile